Friday, September 4, 2009

Trip to CO and WY--Part 2

Well I know you have all been anxiously awaiting to hear about how the rest of the trip went so here goes....

On Sunday after we heard Andrew give his mission homecoming talk, we hurried home, ate some delicious Tacos Al Pastor prepared by Gabe's mom, and rushed out the door to get on the road. We had a 10 hour trip ahead of us...we were headed to Alta, WY to see my family. It was a long trip, but the kids did seem to sleep a bit and we finally arrived at 3:30 AM.





I absolutely LOVE to come up here in the summers, or any time of the year if I could. It is such a peaceful place, far far away from our normal stressful, busy lives. Here I don't have to worry about anything, and I can just enjoy the time with my family.

Here is Gabe taking Ashlee out for a spin.

Ashlee loved the 4-wheeler, but Benny wasn't too sure...he thought it was a little scary.

Here is my sister Janet with her 2 girls at the park.


Playing at the park




My sister Rachel with baby Noah.


Playing with homemade bows and arrows


Benny taking us for ride on the 4-wheeler


And on my grandpa's old tractor


Me, Rachel, Mom, Janet, and Christa


Hunter cousins


Jackson Lake


My dad with his fishing boat.




I caught one!




My sweet parents.


From the lake we headed straight back to Colorado. We planned to drive at night again (so the kiddos could sleep) but on the way back I was so tired and it is so hard for me to sleep in the car that I pleaded and begged Gabe to stop at a hotel. He finally gave in and we stopped. I was very grateful and fell asleep instantly, but Gabe was so hyped up from caffeine that he couldn't. The kids also got a good night's sleep that night--of which I was very grateful.

The trip back seemed a lot longer than coming, probably because it was. First, the hotel stay. Then the next day, we decided to stop by Craig, CO to see Gabe's sister Kirsten. She just had a baby a few days before, and we got to be there when they brought the baby home.

Here is little baby Keith, 2 days old!


While we were at Kirsten's house, Ashlee complained a few times that her stomach was hurting so I just told her to lay down to feel better. She lay down for a little while, and (luckily) didn't get too close to the baby, but then while she was on the floor she threw up a little. She had a tic tac in her mouth at the time and we thought she had just choked on the tic tac. Anyways, we left pretty quickly after that, but then the REAL fun began.

She started throwing up every 15 minutes or so, and I got really good at having a cup ready and she got really good at aiming and telling me when she needed it. And we had to make A LOT of stops. I think it was the worst car trip of my life actually. But finally we made it back to Grandma and Grandpa Black's house, and I'm sure they were not too excited to find out about all the throwing up episodes that happened in their car.

But they, being the kind and gracious people they are, took us in and took care of Ashlee for us, when we were so tired. They took her into their room and monitored her through the night, stayed up with her while she would throw up. I am so grateful to them for all of this, those precious hours of sleep were just heavenly. They went the extra mile for us, and it meant so much to me. All I can say is THANK YOU!

Here is Ashlee the next day... poor sick little girl.


The next day Benny started throwing up too. He was worse, because you had no warning. And he wouldn't stay in one place either. We finally resorted to putting him in the kitchen sink without any clothes on, and let him play in the water. Then at least he wouldn't make a mess.

In spite of having sick kids, we managed to have a little fun too. Gabe got together with the boys for a little BBall action.


Gabe, Andrew, Dad, Michael, and Joey


Benny wanted to join in too.


Benny seemed to get better fairly quickly, he only threw up a few times. But Ashlee was still throwing up by the time we got on the plane the next day, and still when we arrived home until late that evening. We almost took her into the ER that night. But she recovered slowly, and now is feeling fine. That was a nasty bug though. That car and plane ride was something I don't think we'll ever forget.

Well that sums up our trip! Now you've heard all about it. Now we are back in Texas, safe and sound.

1 comment:

John & Renee said...

Bec, We had such a great time while you were with us. I feel so bad, because we must have given Ashly the bug. But we are so glad you were able to come. We had a great time and you proved to be the best fisherman of the summer. Love Ya, Mom