Monday, October 13, 2008

A Selfless Man

I want to give kudos to my man, for being selfless and wanting to help others, especially for what he did this past weekend. It was Gabe's birthday on Saturday, and instead of sitting back, relaxing, listening to the BYU game (like I know he wanted to do very much) he decided to celebrate by volunteering to go trudge through mud and mold and help clean up the destruction left by Hurricane Ike.

He got up at 3:30 AM to drive the 4.5 hours to Galveston, and worked all day tearing out walls of houses, and clearing out furniture. The last house was particularly bad, the water level had gone up clear to the ceiling, and the fridge was full of month old shrimp, fish, and deer. (Ask Gabe to get all the details... I don't know if I am telling the story exactly right.) Anyway, as you can probably guess, it REEKED. Gabe says it was "the worst smell he has ever smelled." Even with a mask, and pinching his nose through the mask, breathing through his mouth, he still started dry heaving once he got outside. Well, they finally got their work done around 5:30 and got home at 11:30 at night. He was exhausted.

Happy birthday Gabe. You are an inspiration to me, and I hope someday I can be as giving of a person as you are. I am SO lucky to be married to such an awesome guy.

We did get to celebrate his birthday on Friday instead. Here are some pictures of the fam and the birthday cheesecake.



Gabe needed a little help blowing out the candles.


Happy 28, you old man!! I love you.

5 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

That's awesome! Happy Birthday, Gabe. Hope the cheesecake made up for the festering fridge... :P.

Michelle Kynaston said...

Happy Birthday Gabe. We're sad to not be there to celebrate with you. Happy Birthday to Benny on Monday too! It's just not the same without you guys in our lives. I've often read the blog post you wrote about Hazel's song and it just hurts my heart and makes me feel depressed everytime I think of how much we're missing out by not being in each other's daily lives anymore. I just got a seasonal job at Best Buy, and they have an amazing employee discount, so it might be possible that my brothers will fly me down there to use my discount. =) I'd love it if they do so I can see you guys! I am so sad we can't go on the cruise with you. But I do hope you have the time of your life. Toast a fancy drink to us. haha. we love you!!!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

i have some pictures from Ike cleanup that Michael took...cheesecake looks yummy

Holly said...

Happy B-day Gabe...I'm so proud to have my big brother be such a compassionate, hardworking, selfless guy! I love you!

Christa Skousen said...

Happy (late) Birthday Gabe!! We love you!