Monday, July 14, 2008

Happy 4th of July!!

I couldn't stand that running picture being at the top of the blog. So now for the rest of the 4th of July fun.
Okay, these are half of the fireworks Gabe bought for us. (I forgot to take a picture before we lit the other half.) Gabe went a little crazy this year, as he does every year, buying fireworks. I know I'm a cheapskate, always have been, but 60 bucks for something that lasts like 2 seconds then is gone?? I know, I know, watching things blow up, I admit, is thrilling. So after Gabe came home with two large brown bags full of fireworks, instead of taking them back like I wanted to do, I convinced Gabe to save half for New Years. So we've got a good stash for New Years if anyone wants to join us. :)

We enjoyed a fun barbecue at our neighbor's house across the street too, and lit fireworks with them. A few other neighbors joined us, and there were some I had never met before. It's funny, you live right by these people and don't really know them or talk to them most of the time. So it was fun getting to know them. We even joined in with the drinking and partying with our very own IBC rootbeer. :)

I love our country. We are so blessed to live in this land, and enjoy the freedoms we have. I have been thinking a lot lately about how we have so many conveniences and inventions, that we did not have to spend the hard work and effort for. They are just ours for the taking. We have cars, roads, refridgerators, computers, and I could go on and on...things we didn't have to build, but can just enjoy someone else's labors. We are very blessed to live in this time of life.

1 comment:

Michelle Kynaston said...

Funny, (though not entirely surprising) - I'm more like Gabe and Mike's more like you on this one - I always beg for fireworks, and Mike says we might as well take money and light it on fire. He even went so far as to ask my mom if we did fireworks growing up - and since we didn't - where'd I get the idea that they were so great?

Next time I get my hands on some, I'll light it in your honor.

Cherilyn