Friday, May 8, 2015

Baby Thomas





My due date was April 27, 2015, but that came and went.  My parents came on the 26th, thinking that the baby may already have come.  Everyone seemed to be asking if the baby had come yet.  That last week seemed to go by so slowly, and everyday I was wondering if I was going to go into labor that night.  Finally, 3 days after my due date, it happened!




The day before (the 29th), I was feeling really good.  My mom and I went to Sam's to buy some freezer food and stock up the fridge.  I was feeling so good I went to Young Women that night, and helped the girls finish sewing their pioneer trek clothes.  But maybe I overdid it, because that night I could not get comfortable, and I am not sure if I slept at all.  I felt some contractions, and decided to start timing them at 1:30.  They were regular at about 7-8 minutes apart.  I got very excited and knew it was time to go to the hospital.  My baby was coming!!!  I finished packing some last minute things, and woke up Gabe at about 2:00.  I showered, called the doctor, and we both got ready to go.  We woke up Grandma Hunter sleeping downstairs and told her our big news.  She got very excited too.



Then we drove to the hospital, and got there around 2:30.  The nurse checked me; I was dilated to a 4.  So she told me to walk around the hospital for one hour.  That was not what I wanted to hear!  I knew my last 2 babies had come pretty quickly, but I did what she asked me to do.  By the end of that hour, the contractions were coming a lot closer together, and they were getting pretty painful.  Then the nurse checked me again, and this time I was dilated to a 6.  So they FINALLY admitted me to a labor/delivery room.  I could barely walk to the room, and had to stop twice for a couple of very painful contractions.  I got in the room, and asked for an epidural right away.  It seemed to me like they were sure taking their time!  I first had to get an IV with antibiotics set up (because I had tested positive for Strep).  They checked me again and I was dilated to an 8.  Finally, the anesthesiologist came in and worked on me.  By this time, I was crying for the pain to go away, and the epidural was the best feeling in the world.  My legs got all numb and tingly, and the contractions faded to a dull pain.  I was in heaven.  It felt wonderful, comparatively speaking.  Well, the contractions kept coming strong, and even with the epidural, were fairly painful.  The doctor came in with a student, checked me and asked the student to check me.  She checked and said, "Ummm, maybe 5+?"  Then the doctor shook his head and said no.  He couldn't even feel any cervix.  I was fully dilated.  Then he asked, "Are you ready to have this baby?"  That took me by surprise.  I was not feeling the urge to push yet, and didn't know I was ready yet.  But he seemed to think I was ready, so I got ready to push.  It only took 2 contractions of pushing, and baby Thomas Gabriel was born.




They immediately put him on my chest and he was crying, but I was able to calm him down a little.  I couldn't believe this little baby had been inside of me.  I was so happy it was over, and even more excited to be a mom again.  This little baby needed me; I was his mom and no one else.  I would try my best to make him comfortable and happy.  I loved him so much already.



I don't think anyone can quite understand the miracle of childbirth unless you have gone through it yourself.  It is the most special experience ever.  And the feeling of love I have toward this new baby is infinite.  He is a special little spirit, entrusted to me and his daddy for his safekeeping.

I love you, Thomas Gabriel, and I will always feel it a privilege to be your mother.  I am so happy you joined our family.





No comments: