Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Story of Sammy's Birth

Looking back on it, the couple of months prior to Sam being born seemed like a whirlwind of activities going on at once. I had no time to focus on my soon-to-be-born baby. The main thing was that we were trying to sell our house in Texas, while living in Colorado. And without a realtor. Talk about a headache. I had realtors calling me all the time, and getting annoyed with me for my lack of trust in them, making them verify their identity before I would let them in my house. For future reference: an electronic lockbox is the way to go. And we were too cheap to get a realtor, but we did end up saving a bunch of money by going this way, I guess. Saving money is always a good thing.

So we got an offer in the middle of February and set a closing date of March 15th. Then came all the paperwork, and loan documents. Yikes. Then on top of that, we found out someone had put some fraudulent claims on Gabe's credit report lowering his credit score. It was a major pain trying to get those taken off, and it ended up costing us more.

Well, we got closer to closing, and Gabe had to make a trip out to Texas to do some repairs on the house. We kept putting it off until we realized the due date was getting closer and closer (March 10th). So he finally went the last weekend in February (the 27th and 28th). While he was gone I joked to him on the phone that I was feeling labor pains. At first he got worried then realized I was joking. He got home on Monday (the 1st). That Monday night, I really did start getting labor pains, and was getting pretty regular hard contractions that kept me up that night. They were not too close together though, so I just took a hot shower, and tried to sleep it off. The next day was not any better. Kept getting pretty regular, painful contractions that did not go away. I knew the time was getting close to go to the hospital, but kept waiting for the contractions to get closer together. We were still staying with Gabe's parents at the time, and I think they knew the time was getting close too. Gabe's mom offered to watch the kids so we could go on a last final date before the baby came, but I opted to stay home and eat tacos instead. Mmmm, they were good. I don't know if I was in the condition to go anywhere that night anyways. By that time, the contractions were strong and painful enough to make me stop what I was doing and double over in pain. Finally I called Gabe (who was working late to make up for lost time) and tell him we needed to get to the hospital. And quick.

He hurried home and we rushed over to the hospital. The contractions were coming about 7 to 10 minutes apart by that time. Thank goodness we didn't have to worry about taking the kids anywhere, since they were already with Gabe's parents going to bed. When I got to the hospital, they checked me and I was already dilated to a 6. Whoa. I have really got to get to the hospital sooner. I should know that by now. :) Well, I dilated really fast after that, but they tried to slow it down so some medication (for Strep B) could kick in before I had the baby.

The night we went to the hospital. Looking like I swallowed a watermelon whole. :)





They hooked me up to all kinds of machines, and even gave me oxygen so the baby's heartbeat would stay strong.


At around 2 AM they finally let me start pushing, and Sammy came out soon after. What a cutie.








We LOVE our baby Sam. He is a good boy, and we are so happy he came to join our family. He must have been excited to come too, because he decided to come a week early.

Heavenly Father knew the right time to send him to us. I am so grateful Gabe got home in time to be with me. That trip to Texas was cutting it close, and I think Sammy was ready to come at any time but I think Heavenly Father kept Sammy in me until Gabe could be with me. I can see Heavenly Father's hand in it, and I am so grateful to be entrusted with another precious little spirit, who will be part of our family forever.

1 comment:

Holly said...

You guys are crazy!!!! I can't believe you cut it so close to having Gabe gone for the birth! And I'm glad to see you are gonna start blogging again. I haven't blogged once since moving to Colorado either!