
Since preschool ended for the summer, we decided we needed to get Ashlee involved in something a little more active, and signed her up for YMCA soccer. Gabe has always talked about wanting to be our kids' coach, so we signed him up too. I think it's been a little harder than both of us thought (especially since first day of practice was while we were in Mexico, and it was stressful trying to notify the team and get a substitute coach). And the kids tend to not pay attention and get distracted very easily.
The first game was this past Saturday, and it was pretty funny to watch. Gabe spent most of the game trying to get the kids to figure out which goal they were trying to kick the ball to. And usually when someone would get possession of the ball, they would just keep running in a straight line until they ended up out of bounds. That happened A LOT. Ashlee kicked the ball a few times but was not that into it, and was content sitting on the bench and eating snacks instead. So I made a rule, no snacks until AFTER the game next time. Hopefully that should help.



At the end of the game I asked Gabe if he enjoyed coaching, and he said he did enjoy it during the games...not so much during the practices. :)
Also when we signed up, it did not even cross my mind that this is SUMMER in Texas. It is blazing hot outside. The forecast says it will be above 100 degrees this week. I feel kind of bad for those little kids playing outside in this heat. But so far Ashlee hasn't complained. We'll see how it goes. :)
4 comments:
Ashlee looks so grown up! That is a funny story...Joe and I were laughing as we read this post. Joe has aspirations of being the coach for his kids too...maybe coaching will be easier when the kids are older :)
which YMCA did you go to? That isn't where we played our games. Gabe should talk to Michael, he coached Tyler's 4 year old team and still laughs about it. It is so fun to watch the little ones though! Yes, hot hot summer.
So cute! What a good idea. I could almost see it all happening in my mind like a movie - Gabe out there with the kids, Ashlee happy to have her snacks, feet swinging as she sits on the bench. Too cute! Miss you!
How fun. I can totally see Gabe as the coach and imagine how frustrating (and funny) practice would be. Ashlee looks like she is having a blast, and concentrating hard. I'm glad she's found a sport she enjoys, even if the snacks are more enticing than kicking the ball.
Post a Comment