Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Lasik Surgery and other Mishaps

Yes, I am doing all right. That was the doctor's concern anyway. Oh, and Gabe is doing just fine too.

Gabe just got LASIK done last Friday, and he is so happy he doesn't have to wear contacts anymore! The surgery went well. I, on the other hand, did not.

Gabe had to have someone to drive him home after the surgery, and I was curious to see the surgery take place. So I left the kids with a friend, and stayed the whole time to watch. It was pretty interesting at first. I could see everything on a big computer screen. Then they got to the part of lifting the flap off the eye. That kind of grossed me out. (I'm sure normal people would be fine to see it... there was not much blood or anything. But I get squeemish around such things.) I couldn't look for a while. Then they moved onto the laser part, and I was fine. They did both eyes pretty quickly and he was done! He came out the door, and was told to go in another room so they could check his eyes. I came along too, pretty curious to ask Gabe how it all went. We sat in this dark room, and Gabe was told to close his eyes, and the doctor left the room for a few minutes. I asked Gabe, "So how did it go? Were you scared?" He said it was fine, except it was kind of weird smelling your eyes burning from the laser.

That did it for me. After witnessing the whole thing, then imagining eyes burning and the smell, I told Gabe to stop talking, and that I was going to faint. I got on the floor. And the next thing I knew, I was on the floor, and had no idea where I was. I had fainted. Gabe says I was out for a good 15 seconds. He was supposed to keep his eyes closed, so he couldn't even see me, but he knew what had happened and called out, "Help, can somebody come in here please? My wife fainted and I'm not supposed to open my eyes." Finally someone came in, and it was funny, they were all concerned about me, and I was not even the patient! Poor Gabe didn't get any attention after that. They kept saying to lay down, take your time. I did feel pretty weak from it all, but I was okay. I've fainted a lot in my life, and they say you lose brain cells everytime it happens. I must be pretty dumb then. :)

I managed to drive us home, and pick up the kids after that. But now I know one thing for certain. I cannot ever do LASIK. I'll have to live with contacts for the rest of my life. And I am perfectly fine with that. :)

5 comments:

Jolena said...

that's crazy! I hope you can get over the fear though, because I got LASIK 2 years ago and it's pretty much the best thing that's ever happened to me! You should totally do it!

Nurse Heidi said...

Oh my word! That's quite the experience. I've put Lasik off for all these years for those very same reasons. It's so icky to think of someone peeling my cornea off...and cautery?! UGH!! I have to say that I got a good giggle at your expense, though. Thanks for the story.

Gabe said...

That was a good story.

When I went in the next morning, they all asked me how my wife was doing. She was fine and she even did an excellent job letting me take a nap after the surgery.

After resolving their concern about Becca, I let them know that my eyes were o.k. too.

Michelle Kynaston said...

too funny - it did make me queezy to read though. I told mike about it and we both had a good laugh. Gabe - It must be nice to see detail in life around you without having those things in your eyes!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

wow, that was funny! I didn't realize you were a "fainter" and I read the story out loud to Michael just now and we both got a good laugh at imagining Gabe yelling out for help with his eyes closed.