One of the ways I have thought I could accomplish this is having more regular family home evenings. It was Gabe's turn to give the lesson, and I thought he did a great job (with such short notice).
First, he had us go to a very dark room (our garage) where there was hardly any light. We each were given a piece of paper and pencil. Sam was the only one who was given a candle which was lit so he could see what he was drawing. No one else could see much. We each had to draw a picture of a wolf. Afterwards, we compared pictures. My wolf was all over the place. Eyes in the wrong location, forgot a nose.
Sam's definitely looked the best. Of course, he had had the candle to help him. Then Gabe asked us what "self reliance" and "gospel learning" meant. He taught us how we need to be self reliant in learning the gospel. We cannot rely on other people's testimonies, just like we couldn't rely on another person's candle. We need our own candle, or our own testimony. The way we can do that is doing our own personal scripture study, and our own prayers every day. That way we can "light our own candles" and not be reliant on other people's "candles."
Gabe shared this scripture found in Jeremiah 9:23-24. It talks about how we shouldn't glory in our own wisdom, or in our might, or in our riches. What we should glory in is if we understand and know God.
I thought that was a profound scripture, and something I need to be reminded of often. I really liked Gabe's lesson, and it was very meaningful to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment